Hello, and welcome to edition one of JKY’s blog, with some useful every day yogic and health tips.
In this edition, I will keep it sweet & simple, with an awesome stress relieving breath exercise and my own Top Ten benefits to do yoga.
Sheetali, or commonly known as cooling breathing, is a form of pranayama (breathing) that can stop anxiety. It cools the blood and has a positive effect on the nervous system, relaxing spasms and calming the mind.
Sheetali is a great tool for me; I used to suffer with anxiety and become nauseous – not a desirable symptom. Now I use this breathing technique to calm myself before I am nauseous. Works particularly well, if you are having elevated breathing, e.g. before flying, an interview, etc.
- Roll the tongue (or simply lie flat) and clasp between your teeth.
- Inhale from the mouth for approximately 4 counts; can you feel the cool air? That means you are doing it correctly.
- Exhales (for approx. 6 counts) out of your nose slowly with your mouth closed.
- Repeat 3-6 times, break and repeat again if needed.
- As this lowers blood pressure please be cautious if you have an existing condition.
- If you feel dizzy stop the practice and resume normal breathing.
- Reduces anxiety, stress, calms the entire nervous system and reduces blood pressure.
My top ten benefits to do yoga:
- Balances the mind & body with strength and flexibility.
- Increases life span.
- Reduces depression, anxiety, stress and insomnia.
- Boosts energy and self-confidence.
- Can be harnessed for pain relief and control.
- Removes toxins & improves body immunity.
- Improves the 5 main systems (cardio, digestive, muscular, skeletal and nervous) of the body.
- Enhances the function of the urinary, reproductive, respiratory, lymphatic and endocrine systems.
- Prevents, controls and improves many disorders, such as diabetes, HIV, forms of arthritis, asthma, multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s.
- Creates inner peace and it’s FUN.